[CT Birds] Oxford & Beacon Falls

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue May 7 21:56:02 EDT 2013

While doing a survey behind Reservoir 4 of Naugatuck State Forest in Oxford this
morning I had at least one singing Worm-eating Warbler in what looks like
classic habitat for that species.  Other birds in NSF included Veery, Wood
Thrush, Great-crested Flycatcher, Common Yellowthroat, Prairie Warbler,
Blue-winged Warbler, and Louisiana Waterthrush.  I followed that up with a visit
to Mathies Park in Beacon Falls, where I encountered a small flycatcher
gathering nesting material, though it seemed uncertain of what to do with it
since ten minutes later it appeared to still be carrying it about.  My best
estimate - not to be relied on - was that it was an Eastern Wood Pewee.  I also
had a close encounter with a female Pileated Woodpecker working on a fallen log,
and surprisingly good looks at a Louisiana Waterthrush.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT