[CT Birds] Unofficial Big Weekend Proposal

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri May 10 16:10:55 EDT 2013

I'd like to propose that next weekend, starting midnight on Friday (i.e. after 11:59 PM Thursday), though 11:59 PM Sunday be the start of a tradition.  A Connecticut Big Weekend.  Let's see how many species we can each, or as teams, and as a whole, find over the course of the 3 day weekend.

It so happens that I will also be doing my BirdAThon over that timeframe and have shifted that from the traditional 24 hours to be a Big Weekend concept.  I will be posting the details on that in case anyone would like to support Audubon's bird conservation programs through the BirdAThon.

Maybe it can be a tradition that we do this every year for the weekend after Mother's Day.  We can also encourage folks to raise money for their favorite bird conservation/education/birding cause, be it Audubon, the Connecticut Audubon Society, New Haven Bird Club, COA, Hartford Audubon, Western Connecticut Bird Club, Cove Island Wildlife Sanctuary, your local Audubon Chapter, local land trust or conservation commission, TNC... There are certainly lots of good causes.   It would be fun and maybe we can make the state a better place for birds and birding?

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road