[CT Birds] FOY - Ruby Thoated Hummingbird (a female) and others

Patrick psmithct at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 12 14:18:54 EDT 2013

In Waterford backyard near Niantic River.  Early morning FOY RBH female at the hanging baskets.  Curious but not trying the feeder.  Oriole feeder sporting an orange, but the grape jelly very popular with the catbirds that may have shown up last week when I was away.

Many Goldfinches at thistle feeders, Cardinals,  a Carolina Wren, at lest a pair of Titmice, and a spare few Chickadees - mother and young I think, a Blue Jay, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers and Downy Woodpeckers at suet and peanut feeders.  Mourning Doves around too and a Mockingbird.  All these pretty much year round, except the Mockingbird.  and Grackles, Starlings, House Sparrows.

Hoping for Northern Orioles again.  It seems there just isn't enough big trees around for them in the neighborhood.  I do get them passing though the area - can hear them and later Scarlet Tanagers, but never see them.  More often see Orchard Orioles, which is nice.  I hear far more birds than I can Identify by sight.