[CT Birds] Male Blue Grosbeak

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 10:39:26 EDT 2013

5/14/13- Westport- Sherwood Island SP- adult male Blue Grosbeak seen near the Mill Pond before the entrance to the park where the creek meets the pond. Bird spotted first in the phragmites when I noticed some  but could not yet see the entire bird. It hopped up and was well lit by the sun. It then dropped down into the spartina and was feeding for a few minutes it was moving toward the water and left when a Common Grackle chased it far left and out of sight. I did try to relocate it but that immediate area is off limits to the public. I did search for a short time near the west platform and along the raid but was unsuccessful. This was not only my FOY but probably my first at SISP. We usually see Blue Grosbeaks at the CT Audubon Tree Farm in the fall.

Tina Green
Westport
Sent from my iPhone