[CT Birds] Mystic yard - great morning 5/16

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 08:07:23 EDT 2013

from Glenn Williams:
5/16 early morning -- 2 BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, late RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, two late PURPLE FINCH

I meant to go elsewhere this morning before work but never made it out of the yard.  I also had one to five of the following migrants - FOY Eastern Wood-Pewees, Magnolia Warblers, Ovenbird, Northern Parulas, Black-and-white Warblers, Worm-eating Warbler (a yard first), Chestnut-sided Warblers, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Black-throated Green Warblers, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warblers (getting late, had one yesterday too), Blackpoll Warblers, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and Eastern Kingbird.

Noteworthy was a late, singing White-throated Sparrow (not seen in the yard in several weeks) and apparently migrating Tree Swallows - not normally seen in the yard at this date, all heading high west to east.

This was easily the best spring morning that I have ever had in my yard.

Glenn Williams
Mystic