[CT Birds] Collinsville Hooded Merganser breeding

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu May 16 13:32:49 EDT 2013

This morning while doing some checking around Canton for the spring census I found a female Hooded Merganser on the Farmington River in Collinsville with five young. They were all sitting on a small log along the shore of the river. I've looked in this area for stuff every day for the past two weeks and this is the first time I've seen her there, with or without young in tow. I'm not personally aware of any previous Hartford County nestings of this species. They have been known to nest in a marsh in Barkhamsted, very close to the county line, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hartland has a record or two. I'd be interested in knowing if any Hoodeds have nested in the county before.

Sounds like migration was better along the shore this morning than up here, though today was the best day I've had in Canton all spring. Highlights for me included a Tennessee Warbler, Swainson's Thrush and Alder and Willow Flycatchers. The hilly land trust property spots, where lots of our less common nesters occur, were not teeming with things but were okay. I didn't hear any Magnolia or Canada Warblers in the spot where they nest but there are more good pushes to come. We had our first Indigo Bunting, which is notable only for the late date of May 16. Usually they've been in for a week up here by now. I have yet to see a White-throat in my yard today; if that continues to be true this will be the first day all spring. They usually split earlier than this. After the bad winter for them, happily Barred Owls are noisy and conspicuous right now.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT