[CT Birds] Hammo Hybrid Heron

Bob MacDonnell bob at macdonnellphoto.com
Thu May 16 14:45:25 EDT 2013

In addition to a nice fallout on Willard's Island, I saw and
photographed what looks like a hybrid Little Blue x Tri-colored Heron
this morning in the Meig's Point pond. Overall, more mottled looking
than LBH with white feathers in the under wing, very long two-tone
bill and dull yellowish legs. It landed near 2 LBHs and then was
chased away by one of them. I will try to post some pix tonight.

My List for Willard's Island
Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, Am. Redstart, B&W, Magnolia, No. Parula,
BT Blue (all plentiful) Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, Canada,
Chestnut-sided (individuals), Ovenbird (heard only), RB Nuthatch,
Swainson's Thrush, Scarlet Tanager (4), Baltimore Oriole (4+), Willow
Flycatcher (2), Marsh Wren (2), Carolina Wren, Swamp Sparrrow