[CT Birds] Sandy Point & Spotted Sandpipers

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Fri May 17 23:08:23 EDT 2013

Sandy Point, West Haven, CT 17 May

I stopped by after work and easily saw more than 10 spotted sandpipers.

Perhaps that's not unusual, but in this one visit I'm sure I saw more than
probably I've ever seen in total (I know, newbie talk).

Beside those, I enjoyed watching least terns passing bait fish in some form
of courting ritual I suppose.

Other shorebirds included willets, a SB dowitcher, least and semipalmated
sandpiper, oystercatchers, semipalmated, piping, and black-bellied plovers,
sanderling, dunlin,. and lions and tigers, oh my!

Russ Smiley

Marlborough, CT