[CT Birds] 05/17/2013

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 17 23:20:46 EDT 2013

 From Jamie Meyers, in part via Sara Zagorski:
05/17/13 - Orange, Racebrook Track -- Orange-crowned Warbler  near the
parking area, about 30 yards down a trail that parallels the road and
has a post with a lock on it.  From the parking area there is a grassy
trail that parallels the state highway. I found the bird very close to
the parking area, in a copse of small trees that includes some
evergreens just beyond the two posts. The right post has a chain
around it but there is no gate to lock. The bird was very low to the
ground and feeding quite actively. I tried to get photos but to no
avail. I did see it three times between 1:00 and 1:45.

 From Tom Murray:
05/17/13 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- Summer Tanager at the Giant
Steps, right off the road short way up from main road.

 From John Oshlick:
05/17/13 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- 1 Male Summer Tanager;
originally found by 2 birders who's names I don't know and Richard
Payne at 10 AM. Tom Murrey and I relocated it at around 11 AM singing
on the paved road leading up to the giant steps. It continued to head
down hill.

 From Richard Payne:
05/17/13 - New Haven, East Rock Park -- The Summer Tanager was
originally found by Penny Sharp and Lauren Brown, and the three of us
saw it around 10 AM (at one point in the same tree with two male
Scarlet Tanagers). I also had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo skulking at the
top of East Rock, in the woods right where English Dr meets the cliff
face.

 From Scott Besade:
05/17/13 - New London side, Thames River -- 6:00 AM; Peregrine Falcon
Southbound Goldstar Bridge.

 From Tina Green:
05/17/13 - Westport, Burying Hill Beach -- Black Tern flying east.
Southport,Southport Beach -- Solitary Sandpiper continues in the creek
just north of the beach.

 From Ed Dettore:
05/17/13 - East Hartford, Cabela's -- 7:30 AM, 1 CATTLE EGRET in the
pond.

 From Mark Szantyr:
05/17/13 - East Hartford, Cabela's Pond -- Cattle Egret continues as
of 4 PM.

 From Paul Cianfaglione:
05/17/13 - East Hartford, Hockanum River Linear Trail -- 1
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, 6 SOLITARY SANDPIPER, 3 AMERICAN PIPIT.

 From Jo-Anne Roberts:
05/17/13 - Mansfield Center, yard -- White-crowned Sparrow.

 From Val and Chris Melnikov:
05/17/13 - ?????, Ash Creek Pine Mills Ffld.(next to boat launch) --
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, m/f Orchard Orioles.

 From Paul Desjardins:
05/17/13 - Windsor, Northwest Park -- morning; Black Billed Cuckoo, 3
Swainson's Thrushes, Gray Cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush, 19 warbler
species including 2 Bay Breasted Warbler, 2 Lincoln's Sparrows and a
female BLUE GROSBEAK. The grosbeak was at the north end of the first
big field near sign for triassic trail.

 From Frank Mantlik, with SUNRISE BIRDING group:
05/17/13 - Hamden/New Haven, East Rock Park -- pair Orchard Orioles
(copulating). Also flying/calling family of 6 Common Ravens.

 From Greg Hanisek:
05/17/13 - Bristol, Roberts Field -- TENNESSEE WARBLER, 6 GRASSHOPPER
SPARROWS, 4 BOBOLINKS.

 From Frank & Linda Mantlik:
05/17/13 - Stratford yard -- 3 adult White-crowned Sparrows feeding on
ground under feeder. First time we've ever had more than one.

 From Peter DeGennaro:
05/17/13 - Naugatuck -- TENNESSEE WARBLER singing in neighbor's yard
all morning.

 From Nick Bonomo:
05/17/13 - Stonington, Stonington Pt -- 4 Common Eider.
????? -- a raft of 50 Common Eider at the mouth of the Thames River.

 From Patrice Favreau:
05/17/13 - Simsbury, Penwood State Park -- 2 good looks at singing
Philadelphia Vireo & a Gray-cheeked Thrush. Also Swainson's Thrush,
Winter Wren.

 From Patrice Favreau:
05/16/13 - South Windsor, Station 43 -- 1 Common Nighthawk around
12:30 PM.

 From Kevin Finnan:
05/16/13 - Sharon, end of River Road / Appalachian Trail -- WINTER
WREN.
North Kent, Carter Road at Kent Falls Brook crossing -- ACADIAN
FLYCATCHER.
Goshen, yard -- COMMON NIGHTHAWK has been around since Monday.