[CT Birds] cooper hawk takes two

Ricki Soucy rickisoucy at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 17:00:01 EDT 2013

I was birding over to Red Bridge/Q-Trail in South Meriden this morning when my husband called me and said our resident Cooper Hawk took a Mockingbird  from the top of our yard as he watched from our veggie garden around 7:30.  Around 4:45 this afternoon, the Cooper came in again and took another Mockingbird from our garden.   We have often seen the bird fly into the big Blue Spruce at the edge of our yard and now we know he/she has perfected the snatch and grab from that tree.  Jim says he hopes it's a mated couple that got taken, as he doesn't like thinking they would be alone.  I'm thinking it's free eats for a hawk who  has a nest nearby, probably in Hubbard Park.
Ricki Soucy