[CT Birds] White Foundation Litchfield, Merritt Parkway Stamford

Schlesinger, Lee Lee.Schlesinger at purchase.edu
Wed May 15 16:54:46 EDT 2013

I made what is for me an annual Spring Visit to the White Foundation in Litchfield.  The birds were OK--65 species, nothing exceptional (Greater Yellowlegs along the Bantam River north of the Bridge; lots of Yellow-Rumped Warblers at Point Folly and a Least Flycatcher and apparent Willow Flycatcher next to each other (good comparisons) along with them; Broad-Winged Hawk; etc...).  Of course, I have no idea how many warblers I walked past because I can't hear them...  The big event was the heart-rending devastation on Apple Hill, one of my favorite spots on the property.  I have a forlorn hope that the mess is left from storm damage or tornadoes, but it looks like extensive development.  It was pretty well birdless up on the Hill, except for a Turkey walking across the field at the top (no Bobolinks, at least so far...) and some swallows.  Can anyone give me information on what's going on there?

Most interesting:  driving back to Port Chester, over the Merritt between exits 36 and 35, a bird that looked pretty good for a Mississippi Kite.  Have kites nested or tried to in n. Stamford?  It's worth being on the lookout in that neighborhood...

Lee Schlesinger
Port Chester, NY