[CT Birds] Salisbury Area hike

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:34:50 EDT 2013

My husband and I have been doing day hikes on the Appalachian Trial in
Connecticut (a bucket list item of mine) and yesterday we hiked AT CT
section 2, Lime Rock to Salisbury (10.8 miles).  It was a perfect day and
we had a great time.  There were so many birds, lots of warblers but
especially scores of Veeries and Ovenbirds.  Their songs were our constant
companions.  I was interested to note a singing Hermit Thrush in a Hemlock
Grove on top of Prospect Mountain and wondered if they nest there.  The
highlights for me were singing Winter Wrens and Scarlet Tanagers.  I have
an e-bird report, if anyone is interested.  The wildflowers were also
lovely but there was a distressingly large amount of Barberry and garlic
mustard all along the way.
Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut