[CT Birds] Naugatuck State Forest

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu May 16 13:45:22 EDT 2013

I spent the morning at Naugatuck State Forest, starting at the field at the end of Hunters Mountain Rd and walking in past the pond and through the spot where a Golden-winged Warbler was seen a few years ago, then back and checked a few more spots.  Highlights included 2 Blackburnian Warblers and several Hooded Warblers among 16 species (several Canada Warbler, many Magnolia Warbler, plenty of Chestnut-sided Warbler, 1 Northern Waterthrush, etc), and a heard-only Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  Other FOY for me included Indigo Bunting, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  Also had a Pileated Woodpecker, which is always welcome.  (If I had looked for Louisiana Waterthrush and Pine Warbler before mid-day I probably could have gotten that up to 18 warblers.)

 From Roy Harvey:
05/16/13 - Naugatuck, Naugatuck State Forest, from Hunters Mountain Rd -- 5:55 AM to 12:55 PM; 2 Blackburnian Warblers, several Hooded Warblers, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Brown Thrasher.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT