[CT Birds] Hammo Hybrid Heron

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Thu May 16 20:59:28 EDT 2013

I saw a bird that is possibly the bird Bob saw this morning and it is certainly one of the hybrid Tricolored X Little Blue Herons, now returning for the third year. This bird looks roughly like a little blue but has a slightly muted pale stripe down the throat and ventral surface of the neck, all dark underparts with contrasting white thighs.

The bird spent all 1.5 hours i observed it in the pools and marsh east of the Nature Center.

Again, these birds represent the first documentation anywhere of this hybrid combination and it is incredibly fortunate to have documented the plumage changes and transitions in their first three years.

This is the good stuff!

I will post photos and video later