[CT Birds] Orange-crowned Warblet, Racebrook Track

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Fri May 17 18:02:27 EDT 2013

The town is Orange, which is appropriate for that species. The directions are pretty spot on. From the parking area there is a grassy trail that parallels the state highway. I found the bird very close to the parking area, in a copse of small trees that includes some evergreens just beyond the two posts. The right post has a chain around it but there is no gate to lock. The bird was very low to the ground and feeding quite actively. I tried to get photos but to no avail. I did see it three times between 1:00 and 1:45.

I have never seen this species in CT in spring. Knowing how unexpected it is here during this season I was very careful with the ID.

Elsewhere in that part of the state the migration today seemed moderate but certainly enjoyable. I had multiple Swainson's Thrushes and parulas still seem to be aropund in decent numbers. Not as many BT Greens or Blues. I had a few White-throats and what I assume is just a really tardy Hermit Thrush in Westport.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT