[CT Birds] Orchard Oriole, Nighthawk

John Johnson john.adele at charter.net
Sat May 18 07:57:39 EDT 2013

5/17- North Kent Rd., Kent- ORCHARD ORIOLE; a pair copulating just east of RR track crossing. This is on the section of North Kent Rd. east of the river, accessed from Rt. 7. I have never seen them here before, much less signs of nesting. Also two PRAIRIE WARBLER and large movement of CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER. Prairie Warblers used to nest here, but I did not find any for the last two years.

5/17-Mill Pond, South Kent Rd., Kent- WOOD DUCK. 15 birds, all adults.

5/17- Camps Flat Rd., Kent- COMMON NIGHTHAWK. Two birds feeding low at 7:30 PM. Four more birds a few minutes later over the Housatonic River in Gaylordsville. I believe the two sightings, about two miles apart,  make the largest grouping I have ever seen in the spring.

John Johnson