[CT Birds] Westport on the Water

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sat May 18 12:44:33 EDT 2013

I went out on the water this morning with AJ and Sue Hand to see what shorebirds, terns,waterfowl,etc. might be around. No waterfowl except for 4 Red-breasted Mergansers. Common terns are staking out their territory on the Cockenoe Island sand spit and there were some shorebirds including
Black-bellied Plovers and Dunlin,some of them "dressed up in all their finery" and Least and Spotted Sandpipers as well as Ruddy Turnstones and,of course, lots of American Oystercatchers.
We witnessed a Peregrine fly in and take a Common Tern off the beach and later saw both adults near the Saugatuck Bridge but no sign of young birds.
Heard and saw our FOY Willow Flycatcher on Cockenoe Island and even saw a Brown Thrasher.The heron and egret rookery is very full and the fact that the four campsites are not useable  and cannot be rented is a plus for the birds. Let's hope the Town of Westport will decide not to rehab them and allow the area to be a refuge from human activity.
Speaking as a resident of Westport, I think Cockenoe Island should be off limits during the nesting season. This rookery is a gem on the CT coastline and should be protected. Dogs and human activity does disturb the nesting birds as well as other birds that use the island as a stopover and resting spot.

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone