[CT Birds] Glastonbury - 103 species - White-winged Scoter, 22 warbler species and more

Bill Asteriades bill.asteriades at gmail.com
Sat May 18 16:04:52 EDT 2013

Andrew Dasinger and I conducted a Big Day in Glastonbury noting 103
species. Highlights follow:

5/18/13 Glastonbury, CT River - WHITE-WINGED SCOTER flying north, various
sites but primarily Riverfront Park and Old Maids Lane - 22 warbler species
Riverfront Park - 7 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS. Addison Bog - SWAINSON'S
THRUSH. Various sites - 3 BOBOLINKS. Also, had 15 Magnolia Warblers in
various sites and 3 Worm-eating Warblers in Great Pond via Tryon Street.

5/17/13 Glastonbury, private marsh - 1 VIRGINIA RAIL, 2 SORA and 8 COMMON
NIGHTHAWKS hawking insects at dusk. Also, PEREGRINE FALCON near Riverfront

We were a bit lucky to see the White-winged Scoter, a first for Andrew and
me in Glastonbury with the last known documented date of 1956 per Whittles.
 We deviated from our plans at 6:30 this morning and decided to check the
CT river for shorebirds. No shorebirds but before leaving we scanned the
river noting a dark waterfowl flying north towards about 100 yards over the
river. As the bird approached, we were both surprised to see this scoter
with a white teardrop by its eye and white-wing patches. Timing is

Bill Asteriades
South Glastonbury, CT