[CT Birds] Meriden Landfill

Ricki Soucy rickisoucy at yahoo.com
Sat May 18 11:58:19 EDT 2013

Melissa Baston and I did the Meriden Landfill.  Great birding this morning.  Had 3 Turkey vultures basking near the front entrance fence.  Found 3 Warbling Vireo nests, and continue to monitor Baltimore Oriole nest found last week.  Brown Thrasher across the street at the airport as well as multiple Savannah Sparrows near runway.  Prairie,  Blue Winged, Yellow Warblers.  4 male wood ducks on the Quinnipiac River.  Great hatch of May Flies so the bass and carp were hitting the surface like crazy.  Heard Bob-o-links but never saw any.  Meriden Parks employees have mowed the grass this week so any chance of Meadow Larks and Bob-o-links nesting this year probably pretty slim.  No Indigo Buntings there, which is unusual as it's the hot spot in the area.  Maybe we've just missed them.  Pair of Orchard Orioles picking nesting material from cottonwood trees.
Ricki Soucy