[CT Birds] A LOT of Whimbrels Penfield Reef

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Fri May 24 06:52:47 EDT 2013

I was astounded to find a flock of no less than 31 Whimbrels this morning at Penfield Reef in Fairfield on the mudflats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not extremely unusual to see this many at one spot in CT? Anyways, I took several long-distance photos, and when they flew I made sure none of them were the European race. They took off and flew west, so they're probably heading down the coast that way now.

James Purcell
Fairfield