[CT Birds] Big Weekend Tally

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue May 21 09:28:13 EDT 2013

My list for the weekend ended up at 176 +2 (complete list below).  The +2 were the hybrid Little Blue X Tricolored Heron and a Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush.  Added to this list were four species that others on team Audubon got, but that I missed, Sora, Virginia Rail, Cooper's Hawk and Black-billed Cuckoo.

As for the full weekend tally of birds recorded in CT over the 3 days, I heard reports of the following:
Pacific Loon, Horned Grebe, Sandhill Crane, Iceland Gull, Orange-crowned Warbler and Summer Tanager.

This would bring the tally to 186 +2.   Did anyone have any additional birds that aren't listed above or below, as I'd like a tally of all of the birds recorded in the state over the weekend.   Thanks!  The ones not marked with an * below were recorded on Friday, the first day of the effort.

Species that strike me as "misses" (some long-shots) include:
Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, either scaup, Surf or Black Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Duck, Ruffed Grouse, Ring-necked Pheasant, Red-necked Grebe, Northern Gannet, Great Cormorant, Tricolored Heron, Mississippi Kite, Northern Goshawk, Broad-winged Hawk, Common Gallinule, American Coot, American Golden-Plover, Upland Sandpiper, Whimbrel, Red Knot, Pectoral Sandpiper, Purple Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, any phalaropes, Laughing Gull, Bonaparte's Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Caspian Tern, Black Tern, Roseate Tern (unfortunately no one was at Falkner), Forster's Tern, Black Skimmer, Parasitic Jaeger, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Long-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Eastern Whip-Poor-Will, Red-headed Woodpecker, Merlin, Olive-sided Flycatcher (there may have been one), Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Philadelphia Vireo, Horned Lark, Red-breasted Nuthatch, either Gray-cheeked or Bicknell's id'd to species, Hermit Thrush, American Pipit, Lapland Longspur, Golden-winged Warbler or either hybrid, Prothonotary Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, Clay-colored Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Blue Grosbeak (or was that on Friday?), Yellow-headed Blackbird, Rusty Blackbird, any crossbills or redpoll (frustratingly, I had a finch doing a chatter call flying over the East River Marsh on Sunday, but I couldn't figure out which one because it was so distant, if I had to choose i'd say likely WwCr).

Please let me know if you had any of those or other species not listed below.   Thanks!

Also, I'd be interested to hear what other's tallies for the weekend were if you participated...otherwise I win, and you shouldn't let me get off that easy ;)

Connecticut, US, US-CT
May 18, 2013 4:00 AM
Protocol: Incidental
Comments:     Big weekend birdathon.  Many locations, 3 days.
176 species (+2 other taxa)

Brant  X
Canada Goose  X
Mute Swan  X
Wood Duck  X
Gadwall  X
American Black Duck  X
Mallard  X
Northern Shoveler  X     Photographed at Hammo.
Ring-necked Duck  X
Common Eider  X     At least 12 off Ocean Beach Park, Waterford 5/19 *
White-winged Scoter  X *
Common Merganser  X
Red-breasted Merganser  X
Wild Turkey  X
Red-throated Loon  X
Common Loon  X
Double-crested Cormorant  X
Great Blue Heron  X
Great Egret  X
Snowy Egret  X
Little Blue Heron  X
Little Blue x Tricolored Heron (hybrid)  X     Photographed at Hammo.
Cattle Egret  X *
Green Heron  X
Black-crowned Night-Heron  X
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  X
Glossy Ibis  X
White-faced Ibis  1     Many observers, Guilford Salt Meadows Sanctuary 5/19 *
Black Vulture  X *(but Ken had Friday) #
Turkey Vulture  X
Osprey  X
Northern Harrier  X
Sharp-shinned Hawk  X
Bald Eagle  X *
Red-shouldered Hawk  X
Red-tailed Hawk  X
Clapper Rail  X
King Rail  1     Heard at Station 43 5/18, also, probable in north part of East River Marsh 5/19 *
Black-bellied Plover  X
Semipalmated Plover  X
Piping Plover  X
Killdeer  X
American Oystercatcher  X
Spotted Sandpiper  X
Solitary Sandpiper  X
Greater Yellowlegs  X
Willet  X
Lesser Yellowlegs  X
Ruddy Turnstone  X
Sanderling  X #
Semipalmated Sandpiper  X
Least Sandpiper  X
White-rumped Sandpiper  X
Dunlin  X
Short-billed Dowitcher  X
American Woodcock  X
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull  X
Great Black-backed Gull  X
Least Tern  X
Common Tern  X
Rock Pigeon  X
Mourning Dove  X
Eastern Screech-Owl  X
Great Horned Owl  X #
Barred Owl  X
Common Nighthawk  X #
Chimney Swift  X
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  X
Belted Kingfisher  X
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  X
Downy Woodpecker  X
Hairy Woodpecker  X
Northern Flicker  X
Pileated Woodpecker  X
American Kestrel  X
Peregrine Falcon  X
Monk Parakeet  X
Eastern Wood-Pewee  X
Acadian Flycatcher  X *
Willow Flycatcher  X
Least Flycatcher  X
Eastern Phoebe  X
Great Crested Flycatcher  X
Eastern Kingbird  X
White-eyed Vireo  X
Yellow-throated Vireo  X
Blue-headed Vireo  X
Warbling Vireo  X
Red-eyed Vireo  X
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Fish Crow  X
Common Raven  X
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  X
Purple Martin  X
Tree Swallow  X
Bank Swallow  X
Barn Swallow  X
Cliff Swallow  X
Black-capped Chickadee  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Brown Creeper  X *
House Wren  X
Winter Wren  X
Marsh Wren  X
Carolina Wren  X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  X
Golden-crowned Kinglet  X *
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  X     Heard by me, Russ Naylor and Ken Elkins at Bent. #
Eastern Bluebird  X
Veery  X
Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush  X (Connan and Andy were there, not sure if they heard)
Swainson's Thrush  X  (Connan and Andy were there, not sure if they heard)
Wood Thrush  X
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  X
Northern Mockingbird  X