[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed May 22 14:50:09 EDT 2013

5/22  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center   10-1PM, very high tide,
then receding, 66F  overcast.
 I waited all morning for the osprey egg to hatch....female was very antsy,
getting up, shuffling eggs. The male took over incubating for a short time;
the female returned and started pulling at the male's back feathers.  So he
got up and flew off, resting on the perch.  So I left at 1PM, and just got
an email from Louise, that the first (probably second laid) egg hatched.
First egg is overdue for hatching about one week, so this is most likely
On the marsh were 2 Brant, 1 Canada goose, 5 Great egrets, 1 Snowy egrets,
1 mallard, a mixed flock of about 50 Least & semipalmated plovers.  On
grounds -the Purple martin condo was very active and loud-observed about
12  birds flying around and on gourds.  2 Cardinals, 2 Barn swallows were
bathing in a rain puddle, then gathered twigs and grass and flew off, about
7 Tree swallows, 3 Goldfinches, 2 housefinches, 2 Song sparrows, Carolina
wren, Catbird, Common grackles, Red winged blackbirds, Robins , starlings,
& the House sparrows have occupied the Tree swallow box adjacent to the
Bev Propen,