[CT Birds] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher / Black Tern

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 27 17:39:58 EDT 2013

Went looking for unusual birds on big lakes here in NW CT this morn. First
though went to Bakersville swamp. There I saw several Alder Fly which nest
there, and other regular stuff. Went to Maple Hollow rd - way north I stopped
and saw a nice Yellow-bellied Flycatcher! On to Barkhamsted...

Saw 1 C Loon, but another was interesting with a brownish head. I forgot my
scope - DAMN! On to Colebrook Reservoir...

What was I thinking! Memorial day and the place was jumpin! With people and
Boats-lots of boats! Left going west towards Canaan. At a pond on Colebrook Rd?
I saw a female Hooded Merganser with 5 young. Neat...On to twin...

At Twin Lakes the same - boats, boats, boats! and Fishermen/woman. Saw one DC
Cormorant and all the Swallows and 30 plus boats! On to Canaan MT...

Here at the top of the Mt were many birds calling. (Here, man made noises are
rare, so I could hear birds so well.) First time this year hearing so much
action. Nothing unusual, but had 10 Species of Warblers with several
Bay-breasteds. Also a Sharpie around-must be nesting here. At the Reservoir
though, I hit it! There, way out at the back end was a Black Tern flying about.
Made my day! Seeing this bird in total silence, cept for the wind in the trees.
There is a Common Loon here all the time, but today, I saw another with it! I
will keep looking to see if possibly nesting. It is 1,400+ feet up here. To cap
the day, I spotted a Dekay's snake crossing the road - Haven't seen one of these
in ages!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton