[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities in June

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue May 28 13:31:06 EDT 2013

Folks,

Following is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during
June.

First Wednesday Walk: White Memorial Foundation, Litchfield.
Wednesday, June 5, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  White
Memorial Foundation is a 4,000-acre nature preserve with extensive
woodlands, conifer plantations, fields, thickets, and wetlands.  The
preserve is home to more than 115 breeding species and is visited by
many migrant species. Notable breeding species include: Least
Bittern, Virginia Rail, Winter Wren, Brown Creeper, Blackburnian
Warbler, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and Northern Goshawk. Meet at the
visitor center parking lot off Bissell Rd., off Rt. 202.  Leader—Greg
Hanisek.  Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com

Twenty-second Annual Summer Bird Count.  Saturday, June 8 and Sunday,
June 9.  This is a wonderful opportunity to work on your birdsong
identification skills and to see what birds are nesting in your area.
For the names of area captains and other information, contact leader
Steve Mayo: 203.393.0694, rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net

Family Bird Walk, Brooksvale Park, Hamden. Saturday, June 15, 9:00
a.m.  Free and open to the public.  This walk is oriented toward
families interested in learning about birds and wildlife. All ages
and beginners are welcome, especially those wanting to improve their
birding by ear skills. We hope to see and hear Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Scarlet Tanager, Wood Thrush, and other forest dwelling
birds. Bring binoculars and a field guide if you have them,
appropriate clothing, and a little bit of curiosity about birds and
the natural world. The park is at 524 Brooksvale Avenue. Meet at the
larger parking lot south of the baseball fields. Leader—Corrie Folsom-
O'Keefe: 203-630-9640, cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org.

Central CT Birding Tour.  Sunday, June 30, 7:00 am. Free.  Join us as
we visit several excellent birding locations in the CT central
valley.  We will decide which locations to visit a week or two before
the trip, depending upon which ones are most productive at that
time.  Potential places to visit include Rentschler Field in East
Hartford where we will look for Upland Sandpiper, Eastern Meadowlark,
and Grasshopper Sparrow.  Another location we may visit is Station
43, along the CT River in South Windsor.  There we’ll look for Least
Bittern, Green Heron, Marsh Wren, Swamp Sparrow and other freshwater
wetland species.  We may also go to the Great Pond State Forest in
Simsbury, where there are likely to be Eastern Kingbird, Veery, Wood
Duck and many other species. Finally, we may go to Northwest Park in
Windsor, where we will look for Orchard Oriole, Grasshopper Sparrow,
Indigo Bunting and many other birds.  Meet at the commuter lot off
Route 68 in Wallingford, west of I-91 at Exit 15 (at the corner of
Barnes Road and Leigus Road).  Bring lunch and wear shoes you won’t
mind getting muddy.   Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or
closcalz at optonline.net

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director