[CT Birds] Birding and bears

Dave Provencher hikerbirder at gmail.com
Tue May 28 19:59:51 EDT 2013

Dan I'd second Gina's comments. I hike in far more remote areas than CT and
while I encounter bear sign often I rarely "bump" into them "in the fur". I
would say this though, if attacked by a black bear (attacks are so rare
you'd be national news) you should fight back for all your worth. The
advice to play dead is for browns/grizzlys, not Blacks.

As for rattlesnakes, don't worry about it. When's the last time you heard
of a rattler bite in CT? So few snakes left you'd be lucky just to see one.
There are many more Copperheads than rattlers in CT and when was the last
time you heard of a Copperhead bite? Just don't blindly put your hand under
rocks or logs or kick bushes in rattler habitat and you're gonna be fine.
Much better chance of falling on your butt hiking (do it way too
often) than being bitten. I've never been bitten by a snake i wasn't
already holding (though a Blacktail near Tuscon almost got me, but I was
crowding it to photo it, so my fault really). Enjoy the woods, your way
safer there than on many city streets!

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile