[CT Birds] ID help -- Snow Goose or other?

Elizabeth Medina-Gray emedinagray at gmail.com
Thu May 30 14:33:55 EDT 2013

I saw two unusual geese this morning among a group of about 40 Brant at
Silver Sands State Park, and I'm uncertain about ID. Pictures here
(unfortunately not super high quality because I couldn't get very close):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RgllbOZBvKEcAGNldaBUHGGj9A1CA-rkiYtOnO5d6J0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zqkm85rDuuiEcX_v2BW8dWGj9A1CA-rkiYtOnO5d6J0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bb0QRWLartFJTuNOsrIF0GGj9A1CA-rkiYtOnO5d6J0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ETI0ifqeXcQJIP-PNMGT3WGj9A1CA-rkiYtOnO5d6J0?feat=directlink

These don't look like any Snow Geese I've seen before (the dark beaks and
uneven gray splotches are especially throwing me off), but is that what
they are? (Blue morphs, or juveniles?) Or is a hybrid Snow Goose x Brant a
possibility? Or something else? The geese were on the shore at the eastern
end of the park at around 10:00 AM.

Elizabeth Medina-Gray
Seymour, CT