[CT Birds] Nightbird Survey

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Fri May 31 04:46:14 EDT 2013

I just finished my Nightbird Survey for the DEEP.  Only had 1 Whip-poor-will calling.  I used to have several survey points with multiple whips calling in the Southington/Wolcott area, but the last few years the number of encounters has dropped off significantly.  Not a good trend.
Surprisingly, at 3:55 AM, I had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo respond to the saw-whet owl recording.

From Jack Swatt:
5/31/13  Southington, Mount Vernon Rd. Power line cut south of Lake Compounce - 1 WHIP-POOR-WILL
Wolcott, Woodtick Rd.  Power line cut south of Wilson Rd. 1 YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO