[CT Birds] May be of interest to some - bird songs

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri May 31 18:22:35 EDT 2013

Many of you know that I use a "Birder's hearing aid" called a  Songfinder
because I have no high frequency hearing. I Couldn't hear a warbler  if he
sat on my cap.  The Songfinder picks up only high frequency sounds  and
reduces the frequency (pitch) by half, into a more normal hearing range  where I
can hear them.

I recently had a brainstorm (I know, that's dangerous) and  figured out how
I could plug my sound recorder into the Songfinder so I can  record the
bird songs more or less as I hear them. Below is a track featuring a  Canada
Warbler and his friends, (2nd Canada, Waterthrushes, BT Green, etc.)  the way
it sounds to me. You might be surprised what I hear, especially if your
hearing is suspect. For whatever reason it's not exactly the same as when live,
 but close enough. The speed of the playback is not changed, only the
frequency  (pitch) of the high sounds).
I've also included a track of the same bird recorded  "normally", so you
can see the difference.  And a bonus normal track - of a  Boston Hollow BT
Blue singing his faux Cerulean song. If you want to listen,  click "download",
then "play" for each track.

"Normal" Canadian Warbler and friends:

_https://www.dropbox.com/s/prnubhnzy12k1gm/Canada%20W%2C%20N%20W%27thrush%20
%2Cedit%20130531.mp3_
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/prnubhnzy12k1gm/Canada%20W,%20N%20W'thrush%20,edit%20130531.mp3)

Songfinder version:

_https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1gr6kqn2hk6opz/Songfinder%20-%20Canada%20w%2C%20
Ovenbird%2C%20N%20W%27thrush%2C%20etc.MP3_
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1gr6kqn2hk6opz/Songfinder%20-%20Canada%20w,%20Ovenbird,%20N%20W'thrush,%20etc.MP3
)

Boston Hollow BT Blue:

_https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwemzmx5eiir28f/Blackthroated%20Blue%20W%20edit%2