[CT Birds] Wood Thrush question

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 09:19:27 EDT 2013

I'm not an Ornithologist but many years ago I was working at Devil's Den in
Weston on Birds in Forested Landscapes, a Cornell citizen science project
studying forest birds.  The Wood Thrushes were the main focus there and we
were monitoring the effects of fragmentation of forest and its effects on
the nesting birds, especially Cowbird predation.  In monitoring their
nesting success over several years, I noticed that the birds who have
active nests make a couple of rounds, singing at the edges of their
territories first thing in the morning and then only sporadically over the
day, unless an intruder enters the territory.  The birds who haven't found
mates or who had lost mates continued to sing long after others had
nested.  They also seemed to sing continuously if a nest failed and they
tried to establish a different territory.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut