[CT Birds] Coastal Center at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sat Jun 1 11:00:09 EDT 2013

We had a successful bird walk this morning; An adult Tri-colored Heron flew in from the south and landed near the osprey platform. It then flew farther into the marsh. A young Bonaparte's Gull was feeding in the marsh, and there was a male Red-breasted Merganser on the sandbars with the many shorebirds. A basic plumaged common loon was in the mouth of the river. There were still 6 brant as of yesterday. There are still a fair number of Ruddy Turnstones around. The Least Tern Colony is growing. I counted rough 120 birds when the came up to chase a gull from the area. As Scott mentioned, this is a critical time of year for nesting terns and plovers, and migrating shorebirds. We thank you for staying off the sandbars until the fall.

Frank

Life is short. Bird often.