[CT Birds] "woodpecker" at hummingbird feeder.

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 22:20:40 EDT 2013

Thank you to everyone who responded regarding the woodpecker which I now
understand is a "sapsucker" (makes sense since it was feeding from a
hummingbird feeder) .
The 2 candidates seem to be either a
Williamson's sapsucker or a
Red naped sapsucker.   Both would be in the area in Colorado where my
daughter lives.
>From the poor quality photo that I was sent and checking photos on the web,
a Williamson's seems to be a better match.
I checked Sibley's too and re-examined
my daughter's photo. the bird doesn't have as much red as a red naped
sapsucker. The facial pattern more closely resembles the Williamson.  At
this time, and with the information I have, I think we will go with the
Williamson, as the identification.
I asked her to take another, better photo, if she can, if the bird returns.
Thank you all again,
Bev Propen