[CT Birds] Collinsville nighthawks

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon May 27 21:11:15 EDT 2013

>From Jamie Meyers:
5/27/13 -- Collinsville, ~ 10 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS, mostly along the Farmington River but also at least one near Little Mills Pond, 7:55 PM.

I too was in the nw part of the state today searching for late migrants. Only obvious one was a Blackpoll in Winchester, however, in my parents' very suburban and not that tree-filled yard in Windsor Locks this afternoon I heard a Warbling Vireo and what I think was another Blackpoll. The latter was obviously also a migrant and I suspect the former was a late migrant as well since they don't live near ordinary habitat for that species. Late flycatchers, thrushes and Mourning Warblers can be around still through the end of the month. Shorebirds too. Sometimes this period actually provides the best birding of the season.

Hey Paul, I was at Barkhamsted Reservoir early this morning and I DID have my scope but didn't see any loons. There's such balance in nature.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT