[CT Birds] Bears and Birding

Gina Nichol sunrisebirding at aol.com
Tue May 28 19:38:31 EDT 2013

 Hi Dan,
I have to say, I would LOVE to see a Black Bear while birding.  But then I've tracked Mountain Lions and the like.  Over the weekend, I visited some remote places in nw Connecticut and nearby New York State in the hopes of seeing bears after finding a male Black Bear that had been killed on the road just south of Wingdale, NY where the Appalachian Trail crosses NY 22 not far from Connecticut.  I think your chances of seeing a bear in Connecticut are getting better.  The CT DEEP posts reported bear sightings by town at this link:
http://www.depdata.ct.gov/wildlife/sighting/bearsight.asp  There are more than 2300 reports are listed from the past year!  I suspect some of these were the same bears being seen multiple times but still, it's exciting.

Bear attacks on humans, especially Black Bear, are extremely rare. According to the American Bear Organization - A person is 180 times more likely to be killed by a bee and 160,000 times more likely to die in a car accident than be attached by a bear. Their advice is to be aware of your surroundings (which you will be when birding). The DEEP web site also has suggestions for Do's and Don'ts with bears at http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&q=325930&deepNav_GID=1655

They do not recommend bear spray, just common sense.  Good luck and stay safe!

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT
It's a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.