[CT Birds] Nelson's sparrows

elphick at sbcglobal.net elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 30 16:20:37 EDT 2013

Although late fall is when most people look for Nelson's sparrows in Connecticut, right now is when they seem to peak during spring migration. I did not see any at Hammonassett while doing field work today, but one of the field crews working on our tidal marsh bird project caught ten at Barn Island one morning earlier in the week. So, if you see marsh sparrows in the next week or so, it is worth scrutinizing them carefully before assuming that they are saltmarsh sparrows.

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT