[CT Birds] Critical Waterbird Nesting Time

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Jun 1 12:56:07 EDT 2013

In Connecticut it is pretty difficult to restrict access entirely in coastal areas.  The only areas where this is feasible under state laws are Natural Area Preserves (such as Duck Island or Charles Island) or private reserves such as Griswold Point (TNC), or in some cases of National Wildlife Refuge lands.  Even then, for mainland areas, it is difficult to control access below mean high water.  In the case of the sand bar at Milford, even the ownership of the spit is questionable, as it accreted naturally and then attached to the mainland.

Our only real hope is to educate the public, limit traffic through voluntary measures and hope that leash/dog laws are respected/enforced.  There will be traffic, but hopefully the birding community can not compound the situation by respecting this request.

Thank you for your understanding and no need for you to apologize, as you were there before this request was put out.   It also sounds like you were respectful.  Unfortunately, Least Terns are in such trouble in CT and the Atlantic Coast, and so vulnerable to disturbance that we really need to give them every advantage if we hope to maintain their populations in Connecticut.

Patrick Comins, Audubon Alliance.

Sent from my iPhone