[CT Birds] cicadas

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 4 18:42:46 EDT 2013

The cicada emergence has been mentioned a few times recently.  One of my UConn colleagues, Chris Simon, is a world expert on the evolution of the group.  Today she sent around this youtube clip, which she says has some of the best cicada footage she's ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDdTBgqYt0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Several members of her lab advised on the project.

More info on their web site at Magicicada.org

Yeah, off-topic, but they're cool.  And during the last big emergence in the region there was an incursion of Mississippi kites into the Northeast, so I'll claim there's a bird connection.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net