[CT Birds] Periodical Cicadas at Cheshire/Hamden Town Line

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Wed Jun 5 21:20:51 EDT 2013

From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
06/05/13 - I returned to the intersection of Old Lane and Bruschayt Drive at the Cheshire/Hamden Town Line (about 45 seconds drive east from Route 10, and a similar distance from my Cheshire home) and stayed for 2 hours (7:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.), joined by several others during this time.  While the cicadas were totally silent, we were able to observe nymphs emerging from the ground and also the compete sequence of shedding nymphal skin (ecdysis).  During my morning and afternoon visits, I had seen neither of these events.  Again, extraordinary photo-ops right up until loss of light.  What an experience!