[CT Birds] Birds of note on the AT, Salisbury to Sages Ravine

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:47:25 EDT 2013

My husband and I hiked the final Connecticut portion of the Appalachian
Trail Tuesday and Wednesday.  While I enjoyed seeing and hearing many
birds, a few things stood out.  On the Riga Plateau between Lion's Head and
Bear Mountain I heard so many Black-throated Blue Warblers that I was
beginning to doubt my skills, but then I saw one, a stunning male, who
perched right over my head.  I didn't realize we had a large nesting
population in CT.

Next, of interest to me was the substantial number of nesting Towhees on
the southern slope of Bear Mountain.  The higher shrubby vegetation there
is sparse but there is abundant thick undergrowth, so I suppose that favors
their nesting habits.  There were several dozen singing males along the
trail.

The only unusual birds (for me) were two Yellow-billed Cuckoos and a
Yellow-throated Vireo.  The Vireo was in Sages Ravine, so actually in Mass
I guess.

One final note, we were entertained by a large concentration of Red-spotted
Purple Butterflies while we ate lunch atop Lion's Head.  They sailed back
and forth along the pathways, at least a dozen.  There were also lots of
Tiger Swallowtails.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut