[CT Birds] Critical Waterbird Nesting Time

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jun 6 09:13:22 EDT 2013

I believe the info Nick is referring to is related to large stretches of completely closed beaches.   In such situations, predators can become more bold.   Whereas in areas with regulated access the plovers can do fine.  A couple of points of difference between CT and MA, Ct has much smaller areas of beach to work with, making it harder to be on the beach without disturbing a colony.  Also, ownership is different between the states;  in CT Punic realm starts at mean high water, in ma landowners own to low water line, meaning beaches can be closed/private entirely.

Also, this may be relevant to plovers, but LeTe are more sensitive to disturbance.  These are voluntary measures we are asking folks to take, but it is in all of our best interests to keep Least Terns nesting in CT.

Patrick Comins

Sent from my iPhone