[CT Birds] Birds of note on the AT, Salisbury to Sages Ravine

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Jun 6 09:22:46 EDT 2013

Nice to hear Kathy. The B-t Blue concentration is elevation related. When hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire I can roughly judge my elevation by the avian species that dominate locally. The most common warbler species from low elevation to high elevation in the Whites are, American Restart/Ovenbird, Black-throated Green, Black-throated Blue, Yellow-rumped, and then Blackpoll (many!) right up to tree-line. Similarly the thrushes are stacked from low to high, Wood Thrush/Veery, Hermit Thrush, Swainson's Thrush, Bicknell's. Though to be fair there are some Swainson's down low as well and their elevation range is moving upward too with climate change, potentially displacing Bicknell's. With the increasing territorial pressure on Bicknell's, I would think the potential for hybridization may be increasing (as if identifying Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's wasn't challenging enough!)

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.