[CT Birds] Birds of note on the AT, Salisbury to Sages Ravine

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 10:07:02 EDT 2013

Yes, I was surprised in that Lion's head is only a little over 1700 feet
and the plateau is around 1500 or so, not so much elevation as I have seen
them at on other areas of elevation further north.  Poor Bicknell's.  They
will lose out as the tree line where they nest is moving up and someday,
maybe pretty soon, will disappear and the mountaintops will become
forested.  As if they didn't have enough trouble!  Last year on Mt.
Washington we heard Blackpoll, Swainson's and Bicknell's at the same
elevation, just below the tree line.

What is your experience, Dave, with Towhees?  There were heavy
concentrations above 2500 feet on Bear Mountain.  I had previously thought
of them as bottomlands nesters.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut