[CT Birds] Banded oystercatchers

elphick at sbcglobal.net elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 6 12:53:01 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

While at Barn Island earlier in the week I photographed an oystercatcher in the small marsh on the edge of Wequetequock Cove (to the west of the parking area by the dike trail).  After I got home I noticed that the bird was banded with yellow bands on the upper leg.  Unfortunately I couldn't read the band numbers, but I sent the pictures to Sean Murphy who initiated oystercatcher banding in Massachusetts for his PhD a few years ago.  Sean says this is the first MA bird reported in CT, and would be very interested to know exactly which bird it is.  If anyone sees oystercatchers at Barn Island, please look carefully for bands and see if you can read the numbers/letters - these are field-readable bands, but you will likely need a scope.

And, of course, be on the lookout for any banded oystercatchers elsewhere in the state (I saw one a few years ago at Milford Point, but that one only had an aluminum band so there was no chance of getting the number, and Sean told me that another color banded bird  - though not from MA - was seen in CT recently).

You can send info to me, and/or to Sean direct at: spmurp AT yahoo.com.

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT