[CT Birds] Periodical Cicadas at Cheshire/Hamden Town Line

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Thu Jun 6 13:41:25 EDT 2013

Fro Steve Broker (Cheshire):
06/06/13 - The Periodical Cicadas at the intersection of Old Lane and Bruschayt Drive on the Cheshire/Hamden Town Line can be heard again from my Hidden Place home.  This intersection is east of Route 10 (Whitney Avenue as it's known in Hamden and New Haven), four streets in from Route 10 (Orchard Hill, Hidden Place, Stonehenge, Bruschayt).  The singing is perhaps not quite so loud as it was yesterday.  Yet, there continue to be some teneral adults and plenty of adults and shed nymphal skins.  Today, I observed a pair of cicadas mating on the "private" road that is across from Bruschayt Drive.  I doubt that that's the reason for the sign, but it is the reason for the sing.  The adults that were undergoing ecdysis last evening have left behind their shed nymphal skins and probably account for some of the individuals that can be seen on the red oaks, red maples, black birch, beech, rhododendron, mountain laurel, maple-leaved viburnum, multiflora rose, and grasses that are found at and around this intersection.