[CT Birds] Cedar Waxwings

Lynn Jones lynnjones11 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 14:39:52 EDT 2013

I just got back from the Cicada Preserve on water company property in
Hamden (with an official escort) and saw a number of birds.  I saw a
handful of Blue Jays but didn't notice them feeding.  Heard Eastern Wood
Pe-wee.  AND we had a flock of probably 25 Cedar Waxwings flying around in
a couple of trees actively catching and munching on the cicadas.  Also in
with the waxwings,were Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker,  probable
Scarlet Tanager and Baltimore Orioles.

If you would like more information on the 17 Year Cicada, you should check
out the Peabody Museums webpage here.
http://peabody.yale.edu/exhibits/return-17-year-cicadas
Also, we have a cicada exhibit with live cicadas (if you aren't a field
person but want to see some in person) and there are a couple of guided
hikes into the field this weekend through the Peabody that you can sign up
for.  Check out the website for more info on all of the above!

--
Lynn A. Jones
Museum Assistant