[CT Birds] Bald/infested Cardinal

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Jun 12 22:10:11 EDT 2013

Some friends in Danbury passed along this observation to me.

 >From Tim Hunt & family:

Emily reports a cardinal at her feeder with no head feathers and it appears
to be due to parasites: the bird's eyes are apparently infested as well.
Symptoms are similar to the finch infestation she observed a few years ago.
She asked that I pass this along to the birding community.

The sites I traversed (including Cornell's) indicate that the cause is
inconclusive but most seem to think it is just unusual molting in most
cases.  Since Emily's bird appears stressed, she thinks parasites are the
cause in this case.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT