[CT Birds] Cicadas

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 16 12:04:29 EDT 2013

Thanks to all who have replied to my original query. I was finally able to get out this morning to view and hear these fascinating creatures. I went to the Meriden spot noted below. There were a few individuals flying around from place to place and lots in various trees and bushes in the area, plus many dead in the road. Starlings in particular were enjoying the feast. I was somewhat surprised at how moving an experience it was; really, no matter what else may happen it will go down as one of my most memorable nature experiences of the year. I'm certainly glad I took the time to go this morning.

Someone mentioned Hubbard Park, which is nearby. I went in there and drove the length of the Castle Craig road. Cicadas were within hearing range, sometimes rather loudly, from the northern edge of the large lake there all the way to the castle. I only saw a couple on the road though. The place was fairly birdy, even at 10:30 or so in the morning. Highlights included a singing Brown Creeper and multiple Worm-eating Warblers. Both the drive to the castle and cicada experience come recommended.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT