[CT Birds] Trout Brook and Pine Creek

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sun Jun 16 14:55:43 EDT 2013

I went to Trout Brook Valley in Weston yesterday morning and today at the Bradley Road Entrance.
There were a whole bunch of great breeders singing and showing themselves in the woods. Highlights included:

6 Yellow-billed Cuckoos (4 yesterday, two of which were seen in the open, 2 today)
1 Pileated Woodpecker
3 Eastern Wood-Pewees
4 Acadian Flycatchers
1 Alder Flycather - this bird is a mystery to me as I doubt they breed here, heard only this morning on the pink trail that runs parallel to the red trail, very distinctive alder song, I was able to compare it to the calling Willow Flycatchers in the swamp on the other side of the trail
2 Yellow-throated Vireos
2 Blue-winged Warblers
4 Winter Wrens (in full song - absolutely spectacular)
4 Ovenbirds
12 Worm-eating Warblers
3 Louisiana Waterthrushes
3 Black-throated Green Warblers
8 Scarlet Tanagers (including one male at eye level!)

Also, at Pine Creek this afternoon I spotted 3 Glossy Ibis flying over which is quite an uncommon sight for Fairfield. It even looked like they might have just taken off from the marsh or were about to land because they were circling around.

James Purcell
Fairfield