[CT Birds] Lawrence's Warbler Eisenhower Park, Milford

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 14:23:11 EDT 2013

June 15, 2013 Eisenhower Park, Milford: Our Saturday morning walk at Eisenhower Park turned up 44 Species. Highlights included a singing male Orchard Oriole along the river, many Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a Broad-winged Hawk, and a singing male Lawrence's Warbler.

To find the Lawrence's, start behind the sand pile, and walk south from the main parking area (off North St. at bottom of hill) on the trail that runs south along the power cut; take first left through the woods (wet here). When you get out of the woods, you'll see an open area with a kiosk and small paved area in the distance; there is an obscure trail almost immediately to the left (wet), once you leave the woods, that runs south into the woods. Follow it for 50 yards or so and listen for a Blue-winged song. There was also a male Eastern Towhee in the area.

Our next Early Morning Bird Walk is at Mondo Pond, in Milford, Saturday, June 22 from 7:45 - 8:45 a.m., followed by our first canoe tour of the lovely Wheeler Marsh from 9:30 a.m. to noon. There have been good numbers of Willets, Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, and recently, 4-6 Black Skimmers (They are here today). Let's hope the skimmer stick around.  For more details see our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org.

Life is short. Bird often.