[CT Birds] Black-billed Cuckoos

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Mon Jun 17 20:43:52 EDT 2013

Hi James!

Cuckoos are somewhat of a wild card when it comes to breeding.  They are relatively late migrants and they also follow infestations of tent caterpillars and gypsy moths.  Birds seen as late as the first half of June are not necessarily breeding birds.  They'll need to be nailed down for more than one or two days of singing to insure that they are going to be there for you.  I had a calliobng black-billed Cuckoo here at Roaring Brook Nature Center in early June, but for only one day.  I also had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo in Burlington on Sunday, but I do not know if it will remain.  Just would hate to have you drive half way across the state only to be disappointed.

Good luck!

Jay Kaplan