[CT Birds] More on Hammo

Milan Bull mbull at ctaudubon.org
Wed Jun 19 10:58:15 EDT 2013

Date:  Tues. Jan 18, 2013 10:35
From:  Milan Bull

This is an ongoing issue with the State Parks that we have been working on for several years with little result.  Hammo is just one of the many State Parks (Sherwood Is. is another prime example) that have lost valuable bird habitat due to "development".  Each time it happens we complain, set up meetings with DEP (now DEEP) and the Friends groups to work out a solution that never seems to happen.

The supervisors treat the parks like a groomed and manicured park as opposed to a wildlife refuge and unfortunately there seems to be little or no communication between the DEEP State Parks and Forests and the Wildlife Division in spite of repeated requests from Wildlife.  The upper DEEP management may be reluctant to take a strong stand because the parks are an important source of state revenue and the wildlife division isn't.

Milan Bull

Milan G. Bull
Senior Director of Science and Conservation
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.
Fairfield, CT 06824
(203)259-6305, ext. 111